Create a Quiz and Add It to a Class
You can create a quiz and add it to a class. Students can then take the quiz from their student portals.
Building a quiz involves defining settings (such as quiz duration, due date, publish date, and student/parent visibility), adding sections to the quiz, and adding questions to each section. You can choose from several question formats, including multiple choice, essay, file upload, and true or false. You can also add the quiz to the Gradebook.
To copy a quiz from another class, see Copy a Quiz to a Class.
Define Quiz Settings
To begin building your quiz, follow these steps:
On the Home page, click the class you want to add the quiz to.
On the Overview tab, scroll down to the Class Quizzes panel.
In the upper-right corner of the Class Quizzes panel, click Add > New quiz.
The Quiz Builder opens.
- Type a Title and a Description for the quiz.
In Duration, type the length of time students have to complete the quiz. A counter in the student portal displays the time students have left. If you do not specify a duration, the quiz has no time limit.
Typing 10 in Duration, gives students 10 total minutes to complete the quiz. A student could spend five minutes taking the quiz, save it, and return later with five minutes left to finish the quiz.
- Next to Due Date, type the last day students can take the quiz, or click to select the day.
- If you want parents and students to see the quiz, select the Visible to Parents and Students check box. Next to Publish Date, type the first day students can view and take the quiz, or click to select the day.
- To allow students to take the quiz multiple times, select the Allow Students to attempt multiple times check box.
- To allow parents and students to see the quiz score, select the Score visible to Parents and Students check box.
- To allow parents and students to see the reviewed quiz, select the Make reviewed quiz visible to Parents and Students.
- If adding the assignment to Gradebook, select the Add to Gradebook as Assignment check box and define the following settings:
- In the Category drop-down list, click an assignment category.
- In the Marking Period drop-down list, click a marking period.
- In Maximum Possible Points, type the maximum number of points for the assignment.
- Select the Count in Averages check box to count in averages.
Assignment categories are set in the Gradebook.
Add Sections to a Quiz
When you click Next: Add/Edit Section, the Add/Edit Section panel opens.
- Type a Description for the section.
- To present the questions to each student in a different order, select the Randomize Questions check box.
- Click Save, and then click OK.
- To create another section, click New Section and repeat the previous three steps.
- To add questions to a section, click Next: Add/Edit Question.
The section appears in the Description list.
Add Questions to a Section
When you click Next: Add/Edit Question, the Add/Edit Question panel opens.
- In the Question Type drop-down list, click a question type.
- Type the Question and the number of Points the question is worth.
For True or False questions or Multiple Choice, do the following:
For True or False, type two answers, and click Set as correct answer next to the correct answer.
For multiple choice questions, type an Answer, click Add another answer to continue adding answers, and click Set as correct answer next to the correct answer.
You can set partial credit values for answers to Multiple Choice Multiple Answers questions by selecting the Allow partial credit for correct answers check box and typing a partial credit value in Score for each correct answer.
- For any question types, you can select the Randomize Choices check box to randomize all possible answers.
- Click Save, and then click OK.
- To add another question, repeat the preceding steps.
- When you've added all the questions to the section, do one of the following:
The question appears in the Show Questions panel.
Edit or delete a question by clicking Edit or Delete next to the question in the Show Questions panel.
- Click Back to Quiz Section to create additional sections and questions.
Click Back to Class Summary to quit the Quiz Builder and return to the class page.
The quiz appears in the Class Quizzes panel.
Edit a quiz by clicking , delete a quiz by clicking , or preview a quiz by clicking .
Students can take the quiz in the Activities section of their portal lesson plan.